Let "The Single Father's Guide" help. Here are five great gift ideas for children that will not only provide years of utility, but also will likely offer the recipient a chance to learn a skill and create interest in a hobby which may continue into adulthood.
1) Kindle WIFI 6" Display ($69.00) - Not only are there thousands of free book downloads, there are also some great, free learning games and puzzles, like "Every Word" and "Every Word Cross," which your children can play to improve their reasoning skills and vocabulary!
2) Canon PowerShot A2300 IS 16.0 MP Digital Camera ($99.00) - Light a spark for a love of photography with a wonderful "starter" camera from one of the most quality names in photography.
3) Ruger Blackhawk Combo Air Rifle ($99.00) - With all due respect to Ralphie in A Christmas Story, "You'll shoot your eye out, kid," a quality air rifle, with proper adult supervision, can provide a lifetime love of target shooting and hunting while creating a healthy respect for firearms.
4) Lifetime 1221 Pro Court Adjustable Basketball Hoop System ($89.96) - Shooting hoops in the driveway, the back porch, or the parking lot is an activity the whole family can enjoy. If you move from one house, apartment, or condominium to another, you can just pack up the Lifetime Pro Court Basketball Hoop and take it with you!
5) My First Lab Stargazer Telescope ($99.00) - You don't have to know the difference between Ursa Major and Orion's Belt to use a great starter telescope. Who knows? Your young astronomer may discover the next supernova or become a researcher at SETI, also known as the Search for Extraterrestrial Intelligence.
6) Kohl's Gift Card ($100.00) - If all else fails, grab a gift card to a great department store like Kohl's. Many retailers, including Kohl's, have grea.t "After the Holidays Sales," when your dollars can go even further!
Look, Dad, I've been there. Don't dawdle. The holidays will be here before you know it. The longer you wait, the more stress you'll create for yourself. Get going now, get this part of the season behind you, and move on to other things.
Check back regularly for more single father time saving and money saving holiday ideas.
To make sure you're getting blog posts and news, connect with Matthew S. Field on Facebook at Matthew S. Field - Author and subscribe to The Single Father's Guide by adding your email address at the upper right side of this page.